Thursday, July 29, 2004

LIKE MOTHER, LIKE DAUGHTER

As a child, my friends’ parents were all much younger than mine and I always felt my parents had been born old!  In a similar way, I often have the urge to remind our three children that Daniel and me weren’t born old and stupid.  

At 37,  I was the exact age when I gave birth to Ross, that my mom was when she had me.  I thought about this a lot when Ross was born because it was the first time I’d had a concept of my mom being a young woman  I have always enjoyed a healthy relationship with her, but this made it seem like I could relate to her on a far more intimate level.

I often find myself in situations with Ross doing something that I so clearly remember thinking, as a child, I would NEVER do when I one day had my own children.  In those moments, I picture my Mom at my age, and I just smile because I now can so relate to those moments in my memory.

I sat at my Mom’s 81st birthday party on July 10th and thought to myself that I hope I continue to mature into the kind of woman she is.  She is strong beyond words; impeccable in everything she does, has held our family together no matter what has been challenging us and just totally been there for all of us in every sense of the word.
 She has been an incredible role model and her capacity to love her children and grandchildren astounds me.  She is one of a very small number of people I know who truly loves me unconditionally.  On those days when the immigration process feels daunting, I think of the value she creates in Ross’ life, and how having this relationship enriches his soul, and I know being here is exactly where I am meant to be.


Did I mention that she is such a cute, little person that when she walks hand-in-hand with Ross, they almost look like a couple?

 
-->