Tuesday, August 17, 2004

ABOUT MY STEPDAUGHTER

This summer, I have watched my 19-year-old stepdaughter break up with, go back to, and then be broken up with … the first love of her life.

In much the same way I wish I could get my 7 year old son to believe me that when you are tired the only way you can get relief from it is to sleep; I want to be able to assure Alex that:
There is no point in making this super hero wrong for not being the exception to every single male rule you thought he was. He was just being 17.
You have to keep your eye on the destination for now and don’t let the journey hold you back.
If the journey keeps you stuck in the same place for too long, move on, even if on your own.
It is nice to cherish the beauty of the relationship because no matter how many others you have, he has the privilege of being the one you will really always remember. It kind of links in with that one chance you have to make a good first impression. We might well forget a few dates we have been on, but never the first lover.
This pain is good. This pain is the universe telling you that you are growing.
It is interesting to realize that the more you learn, the more you see there is to learn!

This will be a summer you will remember clearly for a long time I expect. Both my stepchildren are about to have a reunion with their mother after five years.
What I find really fascinating is that I am having thoughts about not being able to protect them through this one. I wish I had some of that magic dust so that I could sprinkle it over all of them to ensure they have an emotionally safe time. A time that will give these two people something to reach resolution with so that they can move on in their lives. My wish for them is that this week will give them what they need to disengage from the anger, to step out of the hurt and into the power of peace and contentment.

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING THE DEAN’S LIST, ALEX!


The ideals that have lighted my way and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully have been Kindness, Bravery and Truth. ~ Albert Einstein

 
-->