Friday, August 27, 2004

MOVIE TIME - thirteen

All I knew about this movie was having watched OPRAH interview Nikki Reed when it first came out.

The first thing I noticed was that I was not shocked by what I was seeing. I was not shocked to see children indulging in sex and drugs. I was not shocked by the extent to which a family trying their best could be so dysfunctional. This movie is the harsh reality of a situation that exists in more homes than anyone might believe.

Children demand a huge amount of freedom today but don’t realize you need life experience to manage it. Teenagers today take license in a way we didn’t. It is very hard as a parent to find the balance that gives them the freedom they want, that keeps them safe, and still allows you to be seen as a figure of authority. I think this movie reflected this struggle very well.

I totally identified with Holly Hunter’s speechlessness in many of the scenes. What I find so difficult with teenagers is that when they are struggling with life, they think it is something that has been done to them. Their lack of experience sometimes makes it difficult for them to see that their choices put them where they are.

Evan Rachel Wood was brilliant in her part as was Nikki Reed.

I was very relieved that the movie ended on a note that did show that there are parents who will not give up on their kids, no matter what, and that ultimately, our love for each other is the point at which we can connect and heal wounds. When we step into that realm, no words are needed and in the silence, miracles can and do happen.
I would strongly recommend this movie to any family who might have a teenager who walks anything less than a straight and narrow pathway.

 
-->