Friday, March 25, 2005

ABOUT 45

On Monday I am turning 45. Here is a list of some of the things I have learnt and thoughts I have ... in no particular order:

  1. There is no such thing as 'trying'. You are either doing something or you are not.
  2. I doubt myself too much.
  3. It is ok to ask for help.
  4. Wherever I go, I will still be there in the morning.
  5. I am always surprised when people tell me they value me.
  6. It is wonderful when you have friends who are like family, and very sad when you aren't friends with your family.
  7. I love surprises.
  8. Ross is the most perfect thing I have ever done.
  9. I under-estimated how hard it would be living away from the people I have a history with.
  10. I eat spaghetti with a knife and fork.
  11. I have lost an unusually high number of family and friends for someone my age - remembering Willie, Greer, Ady, Pam, Bonnie, Gatsby, Terry and Glenda.
  12. I am a loyal friend.
  13. I still love Mick Jagger.
  14. It is almost impossible for me not to make a pig of myself with sushi.
  15. Working for Rabbi Ady Assabi was the second most profound experience in my life.
  16. Acknowledging that my reality is different to the next person's is a very freeing state to be in.
  17. Going on a cruise was the best vacation I have ever had.
  18. Nothing angers me more than people lying to me.
  19. I would love to be obscenely financially rich.
  20. I cried through Wayne Dyer's entire presenation. This was a highlight in my life.
  21. It lifts my spirit when Daniel and Ross are happy.
  22. I often wish I didn't have Muscular Dystrophy.
  23. I can make exceptionally loud farts.
  24. I really have no regrets.
  25. I get very hurt when people I love let me down.
  26. It still surprises me that I love cooking.
  27. I think the ageing process is unfair.
  28. An astrologer once told me that through my writing I could "introduce change of a higher social order".
  29. I often think about what I will do when my dog dies.
  30. I saw "Love Story" 14 times and was let in free, three times.
  31. My favorite part of being pregnant was feeling Ross move inside me.
  32. I don't tell my sister often enough that I love her.
  33. I was a very good tap and modern jazz dancer from the age of 4 to 13.
  34. There are a lot of people who don't know that Daniel is my third husband.
  35. Ok, it's time to come clean ... I love Barry Manilow too.
  36. My strongest belief is that the more ok I get with myself, the more ok you become without having to do anything about it yourself.
  37. I have never tried to make matzo balls.
  38. I miss the privilige of being able to vote.
  39. What I lack in physical strength I make up for in strength of character.
  40. I only ever drove on the M25 in London once during the 7 years I lived there, and have only driven on Rt. 80 twice in three and a half years.
  41. I want to swim with dolphins.
  42. There are no words to adequately express the depth of my love for Daniel.
  43. I still don't know exactly what I want to do when I am big.
  44. If I can be half the woman my mother is, I will be proud of my achievement.
  45. This was the song for the first dance at our wedding. It feels appropriate to list it here:

WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD

As sung by Louis Armstrong

(George Weiss / Bob Thiele)

I see trees of green, red roses too

I see them bloom for me and you

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue and coulds of white

The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky

Are also on the faces of people going by

I see friends shakin' hands, sayin' "How do you do?"

They're really sayining "I love you'.

I hear babies cryin', I watch them grow

They'll learn much more than I'll ever know

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

Oh yea ...

 
-->