Monday, May 16, 2005

BACK IN THE SADDLE

Life has been coming at me full throttle since Pesach. We had a fantastic holiday with special family and special friends. Unfortunately I came down with dreadful flu and a fever kept me under the covers for the week following Pesach. Then I made my acquaintance with the notorious ‘New Jersey Allergies’. I have never suffered with hayfever or any kind of allergies before and this is proving to be one serious challenge; and we all now how much I need more of those! I am enduring endless coughing, which you would think I am quite a pro at by now. I have spent most of my days hooked up to my bi-pap machine due to being physically exhausted from the endless coughing. I also don’t cough much when I am on the machine, so it proved to be a great refuge. Today marks the 4th week of this saga and I am hoping that the record high in 20 years pollen count will start subsiding.

Right after Pesach Ross started at his new school. Everything has gone superbly and I will get much pleasure from writing this up in more detail. He is happy, we are happy and it has been a wonderful wave of positive and upbeat energy in our lives.

Mother’s Day was deliciously enjoyable in many ways. We had a BBQ with my Mom, sister and brother in law. It was laid back, relaxed and aside from the fact that spending time with me in these past few weeks has been like hanging out with a Spitting Cobra (due to my cough, not my nature!), we all thoroughly enjoyed the day. Again, pics and a little more blurb to follow.

Marti was treated to a weekend in Miami by her ever so charming boyfriend and she had a great time. We are preparing for her to take three weeks vacation in July during which time she will be going home. Daniel will be taking his vacation time over that period so Ross and I will get our much needed and wanted chance to hang out with him at leisure. Can’t wait! Marti has decided to make application to extend her visa for another year, which of course, for so many reasons, makes us all very happy. She has been through a profound experience in her personal life since she arrived here which one could liken to having a good shot at an American Dream! Marti, you rock!

Last Tuesday was the first day in these weeks I am describing that I had the energy and inclination to get up, remove the sweats and put on real clothes. I must have sensed something good in the air, as when I got on line, the news item of the day that caught my immediate attention was the announcement of the 2005 Rolling Stones Tour. I will be at the concert this year and am not limiting myself to the ‘live on HBO’ version, if there will even be one, like I did with their last tour. I want to see the hottest 62 years old on the planet, in the flesh, as up close and personal as I can possibly get. I have recently overcome the personal hurdle of being able to surrender to using the ‘Disabled Services’ departments to purchase tickets for concerts. I am looking forward to Elton John in September and I will be on the phone bright and early to reserve tickets for the Stones when bookings open May 23rd.

We are officially permanent residents in the U.S.A. and have a scheduled appointment for the final submission of one more fingerprint and the pics for our Green Cards. Yes, we have to pay a visit to the building that houses ‘The Screamer’, but hopefully the elevator will be working this time … please God let the elevator be working this time. (See Stars and Stripes post from Sunday, April 10th).

Listing this post brings me to the announcement that this blog will soon be expanding. I have found a great person on line (full credits to follow later) who will be assisting me with being able to do things on all my blogs - this one, THE ROSS EXPERIENCE and KEEPING THE PEACE. They wait patiently but I assure you, they will be worth having waited for. They will have all those lovely things that technically challenged and fearful folk like myself just don’t manage to master …. like Links and Side Bars etc. etc.

The internet has actually brought me great experiences and wonderful people over these past few weeks and I will be sharing more details of those soon as well.

Being forced to keep my butt in the chair while hooked up to my breathing aid, I had a great opportunity to catch up on some movie viewing. I seem to be the person who watches the Academy Awards and THEN views the movies to see if the recipients were actually worthy of their accolades! I have watched hours of TV as well. I am still debating whether TiVO has been the best invention since the fax machine or the cell phone. It is a tough choice, but I can most emphatically state that I HEART MY TiVO. My humble comments on all the movies and TV shows to follow soon too!

My second biggest challenge in life has been kept alive and well too over the last few weeks. Just when I feel like I have mastered the art of how not to feel like a worthless piece of shark shit in the eyes of the teenager and young adult I live with, so comes another tidal wave to knock me off my feet. However, I am up and through the water, have wiped the bubbles and salt from my eyes and I remind myself of this:

Those with genuine self-confidence make a conscious decision that, although guidance is always welcome and approval and acknowledgement are always nice, ultimately the only lasting confidence comes from within. (Off my ‘Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff calendar”)

The point of this post is to announce ‘I’M BACK’. It is also to say how very much I have appreciated the emails asking me where I have been and whether I am ok. Watch this space for more!

 
-->