Friday, June 03, 2005

IT REALLY IS THIS SIMPLE

There has been a most wonderful energy around me this last week. I have felt like since my cough stopped on Saturday, I am once again present in my life. I feel like there has been a shift. I am not sure what it is about, and I don’t need to know what it is about. Perhaps my planets are aligned in some magical way, but it has been a long time since I have felt this good.

The universe has been supporting my every thought and action this last week. There have been sequences of events that appear to have been sent to reassure me that everything is ok. In spite of my strong belief in those powers that be, there are some times days, weeks, moments, phases, where I feel like I would like a sign, something tangible to confirm that “they” are in fact there. I can honestly say that I have had more than that this week.

The nurse at our family doctor’s office has become my friend. She is a very dedicated nurse and in spite of the fact that she is perhaps even shorter than me, she is in no uncertain terms, a powerhouse woman! Over the last few weeks she has been sharing with me that she is anxiously waiting on her husband getting a new position at work that will enable her to cut back her hours. She wants to spend more time with her son who is in kindergarten and to be able dedicate more time to her family life than her work.

In addition to these wishes, she has just not been happy in the job for some time now so I was really pleased to get her call at the beginning of the week to tell me that her husband had got the job and she has now decided to start putting her resume out and to actively start looking for a new job.

I was very surprised when two days later; I heard that she had in fact been fired. Instead of honoring her for the amazing contribution she had made to the patients and without being able to find it in themselves to dismiss her with dignity and respect, the management behaved in a way that can only be described as hurtful and nasty.

I did not call her the day I heard about it, as I felt that she was probably upset and I wanted to give her some space to just deal with the reality of what had happened to her.
She called me this morning and of course the first thing she said was, “I guess you have heard what happened?” My response kept us on the phone for one hour. By the end of the conversation, we were giggling and she said to me, “have you been reading that book again?” I knew exactly which book she was referring to because some time ago we discovered we were reading it at the same time, and she was really surprised to learn that I knew of it. I laughed and said, “which, THE POWER OF NOW?”

Our conversation continued and I made these suggestions to her:

  • Once you have gotten over the blow to your ego, go into the office to collect your things (the dismissal took place at another venue), and tell your colleagues you are sorry they were put in such an awkward position. Seemingly the staff was asked to vote on management’s decision to dismiss her. Tell them if you found yourself in that situation, you would have declined.
  • Leave on a positive note and in such a way that you can feel in integrity with the place and the people.
  • Thank the powers that be for assisting you in creating the opportunity for you to go out and get the job you want.
  • Sit down and write up a description of your ideal job. Consider every single aspect of it. How far it should be from home, how many hours a day you want to work, what color the walls should be. Absolutely everything.
  • Include in the list how much you want to earn. Don’t calculate it against your monthly expenses; calculate it based on knowing the contribution you have to make and what you are worth.
  • If you calculate what you should earn against your monthly expenses, you are coming from a space of need. When you come from need, you are not being creative. When you calculate against your worth, you are being creative. When you create from a space of nothing, you open the possibility for everything.

I urged her to do this. With this kind of clarity, you can manifest anything.

“Your new job is out there, you just don’t know the address yet.”

I am grateful for my friend being this open to listening to me. Based on where I am in my life, and with the projects and goals I have in the making, I needed to hear this as much as she did.

One day I will understand why it is so much easier to motivate other people than it is to motivate myself. As I look over the list, I am reminded that it really is this simple. We can create what ever we want.

Have a creative and gentle weekend.

 
-->