Wednesday, August 31, 2005

THE BIG FOUR

This time of the year is full of anniversaries for our family. The most recent addition to the list is that Monday was Marti’s one year anniversary in the country. Today, our family acknowledges our 4th anniversary in the USA.

If I look back on all the stuff that has transpired in this time, it seems more like a lifetime than a mere 4 years. At the same time, it all feels like it went by in a blink of the eye.

I have always said that reality will far surpass your wildest fantasy and thinking back on all these events and the webs our lives spin, it is a reminder how we are so not in control of anything.

Our lives hang in the balance and we go to bed each night safe in the assumption that our sun will rise in the morning, and when it does, we just continue with our days overlooking the gift that lies within the opportunity to recreate ourselves every single day.

With that in mind, I have been asking myself all day how different my life is after four years here, to when I was living in England, what have I learnt, etc. Here are some of the answers:

- I love the four seasons here compared to the varying degrees of winter in England, all year round; but I can’t stand snow and black ice!

- I live in a house probably three times the size of which we would be able to afford in England.

- I actually did learn to drive on the other side of the road but Rt. 80 still scares the shit out of me.

- My dog fetches the ball but I get my kids from school. In England I used to fetch my kids from school and my dog would fetch the ball as well.

- An interesting picture comes to mind when I think of how we would catch a bus in England rather than take the bus.

- I could never have anticipated [this] small town America’s dislike of foreigners and people who do things differently, yet I have made friends that will be in my life for ever.

- I have come to love Thanksgiving as if it is a custom I have grown up with.

- That “Hurro, pick a kurra!” is my manicurist greeting me and inviting me to choose a color of nail polish.

- That Green Cards are actually white!

I’m sure if I dug a little deeper, I could roll out some profundities, but for now, this is what comes to mind.

 
-->