Monday, March 06, 2006

AN ENCORE KIND OF DAY

We had the distinct pleasure of spending the day with our neighbors yesterday. When you have lived in as many different places as we have, finding good neighbors can be a rare luxury. From our last place of residence in our home town of Killarney, Johannesburg, through 5 towns in London, a house boat in Amsterdam and a town house in Zoetermeer, we really did have to wait to get to New Jersey to have the bonus of neighbors that we love. Stan and Alyson are friends, the uncle and aunt neither of us have on hand, and for me, Stan is the Dad that I don’t have on hand either. Our age differences have not stood in the way of us forming a loving, fun, meaningful and rewarding relationship for all of us.

We headed off for NYC yesterday and made the obligatory brunch stop at the Tick Tock Diner in Clifton. I love diner food and after securing an extra couple of pounds on home fried potatoes, we climbed back in the car and headed for NYC.

Stan was very impressed by the fact that I really do have a Parking Angel as no sooner had we identified the theater, did a car pull out of a parking space directly over the road from where we needed to be. While this might not seem like a big deal, this is a rare find in New York, even on a Sunday. I have no clue why, but something as mundane as designated disabled parking does not exist in NYC (as far as I have been able to find out).

We went into the smallest theater I have ever been to. We sat in the second row from the front and much like the parking space, those four seats clearly had our names on them from the time the booking was made as they were the last four available on line for that date. When I went back in to try get additional seats, it came up as sold out. The theater doesn’t offer reserved seating so it was great that we were that up front.

As far as the show itself is concerned, all I can say is that if you live in the area, and enjoy Jewish humor, this is a show not to be missed. “25 Questions for a JEWISH MOTHER” is 80 minutes of the most enchanting roller coaster ride of emotions that I have been on in a very long time. Judy Gold is a fantastic performer and she got to the heart of some really serious issues through intelligent and hilarious humor. What a perfect mix.

After I had been to get Ross from my Mom, we all got together again to watch my Superbowl television event – the Academy Awards. I had great fun playing paparazzi with my digital cam and the tv. Results of this can be seen here. We ordered in Pizza and our equally delicious neighbors provided brownies, fruit and ice cream for dessert.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show and it was a perfect note on which to end a perfect day.
Some further information on the theater is available here.

 
-->