Wednesday, May 31, 2006

PRIDE & JOY

Ross’ move from public school to Jewish day school just before the end of second grade last year, was made possible by virtue of a capped grant for tuition fees. I was very pleased when I was contacted by the management from the school recently. They told me the name of the family who are the donors of this fund that makes these grants possible. I have never known who is actually behind it.

The reason they gave me this information is they said that every year they extend a letter of thanks from some parents who have been awarded this grant. This year we have been chosen as one such set of parents and they asked me to please outline how being at the school has enhanced Ross’ life.

I jumped at the opportunity as I have always wanted to thank the actual powers that be that make it possible for Ross to be there. As I was coming to the end of my letter, I thought that the person who should really have a voice in this is Ross, he is after all the one attending the school and going through the educational experience.

We recently had to work on a book report for school. The book had to be an autobiography and the report had to be done in the form of an interview. Ross had to be the person the book was about. He chose to be George Lucas and to do it in a taped radio interview format. I acted as the journalist interviewing Mr. Lucas. I was therefore confident that he had a clear understanding of the concept of an interview.

I drew up a list of questions and put them to him – and typed his spontaneous verbatim answers. A transcript of the interview is outlined below.

oooOOOooo

HOW HAS THIS SCHOOL CHANGED YOUR LIFE?

“Learning Hebrew, making very nice friends and having great teachers.”

WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNT ABOUT YOURSELF AND BEING JEWISH SINCE YOU STARTED THIS SCHOOL?

“The great celebratial* holidays and the great history of the Jewish people. I now realize how great my religious history is.”

HAS THIS NEW LEARNING EXPERIENCE GIVEN YOU ANY NEW GOALS AND DREAMS FOR YOUR FUTURE STUDIES?

“Yes. Well, I’ve got new goals to be a famous Rabbi and make sure all Jewish kids grow up to be nice, young religious adults.”

NAME YOUR SIX FAVORITE THINGS ABOUT SCHOOL.

“Gym, Chumash, Social Studies, Language Arts, Math and lunch!”

DO YOU FEEL PROUD ABOUT GOING TO THIS SCHOOL?

“Yes, because I have met so many new people and learnt many new things.”

WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT YOUR TEACHERS?

“That they are honest and they really teach us well.”

WHAT HAS BEEN THE MOST POSITIVE THING ABOUT MOVING FROM PUBLIC SCHOOL TO THIS SCHOOL?

“I am finally not the only Jewish kid in my school. I am surrounded by kids who have the same religion as me. It makes me feel proud because I have people to ask things about things I don’t know and I can invite them to the holidays I celebrate instead of having no-one to come to my Jewish celebrations.”

IF YOU COULD SAY THANK YOU TO THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO ATTEND THE SCHOOL – WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO THEM?

“I would say thank you, you are the best people in the world.”


* I felt compelled to leave this exactly as he said it

 
-->