Thursday, June 08, 2006

HUMBLING ...

My physical therapy sessions are becoming quite grueling. I think it helps tremendously that my therapist is to faint for handsome and has eyes like the man from Atlantis. By his own admission, he refers to his hands as, “the thumbs of death!” While he was working the muscles in my shoulder on Tuesday, he mentioned to me that I was going to be sore the next two days.

“Really? I’m taking deep breaths and reminding myself that I have given birth, so I can survive this.” I told him sarcastically.

Yesterday I was literally aching from the session. While speaking to my Mom on the phone she asked me how I was feeling. I humbly share with you the conversation as it unfolded:

“I’m sore, Mom; but the ice packs are helping and I just have to endure it.” I told her.

“I know,” she said, “but I hate the fact that you are suffering this kind of pain.”

“Well, it’s really not the end of the world and I will get through it; I have to!”

Sounding very emotional and weepy she went on to say, “You are so amazing, my girl. I am so proud of you. You just have the most amazing attitude - the way you take all these challenges in your stride and you never complain. I am truly proud of you.”

“Thank you, Mamala,” I said. “I really appreciate you telling me that.”

After putting the phone down from her, I felt the most wonderful wave of love wash over me. I get this feedback from people quite often who praise my attitude to life and the way I handle the way I live it. I say this with deep appreciation and humility.

The truth of the matter is, it is not me that is amazing, it is this amazing life that God has given me to live and I am grateful for every minute I have to live it.

 
-->