Sunday, August 20, 2006

HUSTLING ...

I’m in a strange mood today. One of those moods where you feel everything is ok and how un-ok so much is, all at the same time. I am feeling frustrated about the fact that I am so far away from so many people I want to spend time with. I feel happy that there are a few people who, in spite of being in my life for a short time, I want them around me for ever.

There was a parent/child argument in the house yesterday that has left me reeling. It’s the same old, same old story – how do parents get their kids to hear that by offering a different perspective, you are not judging them – and you are not trying to clip their wings – you’re just trying to get them to see where there are some pot holes that can be avoided. How do you get them to hear that you will never stop them from taking life’s knocks, because it’s the knocks that make the landings sweeter?

Before going out to my Mom for lunch today – I went to my desk to check my calendar for tomorrow – I needed to see if there was something I had to do today in preparation for an appointment I have. By reading my calendar, I sent the following information to said child:

I just had to share this with you – I love it when the universe comes back at you INSTANTLY. While getting ready to (almost) leave – I tore off my calendar from yesterday to today’s date – cos I needed to see what was on my calendar for tomorrow actually – and this is what today’s inspirational message on my calendar reads – I think it is something that all three of us needed to hear – it also enforces everything I said – not from the perspective of being right – but more from the perspective of – time to re-think the modus operandi or game plan – and no two parents are more open to this than me and dad … this is the quote:

“CHILDREN OFTEN FEEL THAT THEIR PARENTS DON’T RECOGNIZE OR GIVE THEM CREDIT FOR THE FACT THAT THEY’RE MATURING OR GROWING MENTALLY AND EMOTIONALLY. LET THEM KNOW THAT THEY DO HAVE THE CHANCE TO REDEFINE THEMSELVES IN YOUR EYES IN THE HERE AND NOW.”
What I love about it is the reminder of the here and now. We can’t change anything that has already happened, the future hasn’t happened yet, all we have is the here and now – let’s make it the best version it can be!

If you are wondering what the connection is in this post between my opening paragraph and the family fight – it is this … it is a blessing having friends who are like family, but it sucks, big time, when your family does things to you that they would never do to their friends.

On a lighter note, I watched ‘Hustle & Flow.’ If you enjoy indie movies and haven’t seen this one – get it. Terence Howard’s performance is breathtaking. It’s a universal theme of having a bigger dream. To give you an idea of how much I enjoyed it, I will confess to having spent the entire day quietly singing:

“You know it’s hard out here for a pimp –
when he tryin get this money for the rent -
for the cadillacs and gas money spent –
because a whole lot of bitches talkin’ shit …”

Hope you don’t have to hustle too hard this week and that the flow is easy.


 
-->