Thursday, October 05, 2006

WHAT ...

… HAS MADE ME HAPPY THIS WEEK?
A few months ago my father in law was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer and two tumors were discovered on his brain. This came as a complete shock to our family as Brian is a healthy, energetic, fit man who still worked full time and was very busy leading an active life. Within a matter of days my in-laws' lives became dedicated to getting Brian through his radiation and months of chemo therapy.

On Tuesday he had a scan to see whether the chemo has been effective and the results were great. The tumor has shrunk and his chemo has been reduced from 5 days every two weeks to twice a month, through to the end of this year.

When he thanked the Oncologist who has been taking care of him, the Doc reminded Brian that what he had done was administer and manage the correct prescribing of chemo and medications. “The real work,” he said, “you did!”

I couldn’t hold back the tears as my mom in-law related this to me particularly because I could hear the relief and pride in her voice. I told Brian how deeply proud I felt of him as he has truly displayed an attitude and strength the likes of which we have never seen in him before.

Our family could not have asked for a better gift … the day after Yom Kippur.

… HAVE I BEEN WATCHING?
If you have not seen ‘KINKY BOOTS’ yet – make a plan to do so as soon as possible. I do not want to reveal anything about the movie as it will only detract from the sheer pleasure of it. If you aren’t already a lover of Brit movies, this will be the one to swing you. Although I sat and watched it on my own, I was literally cheering aloud at the end.



… AM I GOING TO CONFESS TO YOU?
That I have a crush on Tim Gunn and Dog the Bounty Hunter!

… DID I DO FOR SOMEONE ELSE THIS WEEK?
My sister has recently opened a new business and I wanted to mark the occasion with a meaningful gift. I wanted something that would give her pleasure and that would also make a contribution to a good cause. She was thrilled with it. Perhaps you would like to consider this for your next gift to someone.

… HAVE I BEEN READING?
One of the things I miss from the time I spent in England is the hours I would spend reading to and from work on the London Underground. I love reading but rarely get the opportunity to put my feet up and vanish into a good book. A few months ago I signed up with Simply Audio Books and I have been listening to books when I am in the car. It is a great way to pass the time, especially when I wait outside the school for Ross to come out. I have just finished OPEN HOUSE by Elizabeth Berg. It was easy to listen to but I was surprised when I got to the last disc that there weren’t more to follow. The next one on the way to me is KITE RUNNER by Khaled Hosseini.
... MADE ME FEEL VERY SPECIAL TODAY?
Receiving this gift from Wenchy ... all the way from South Africa.

SOME COLORFUL SOUTH AFRICAN STAMPS


… QUESTIONS MIGHT YOU WANT TO ASK ME?
I’d be curious to see and happy to answer.

 
-->