Friday, March 23, 2007

EXPAT ...

Without any kind of lengthy explanation as to where I have been and what I have been doing, I will burst back into action by having been prodded by the wonderful keeper of this blog.

I am honored that he chose me as one of a select few to tag.

Here’s hoping that my path will stay clear for me to continue updating on a far more regular basis. Thanks to EVERYONE who has continued to visit and to those who have emailed me.


And now, on with the expat tag:

Name 5 things you love in your new country:

Ross’ school.
The defined four seasons.
I never have to reverse park.
On a materialistic level that there is always someone out there with anything and everything you might think of to sell to you.
That my American nieces and nephew call me their Ant.

Name 4 things that you miss from your native country:

NO SNOW!
A complete sense of belonging and place on the planet.
My friends, relatives and all South Africans.
Calling the guy who pumps my gas, “Baba” and the lady who checks me out at the supermarket, “Mama.”

Name 3 things that annoy you a bit (or much) in your new country:

SNOW!
The healthcare system.
Gun laws.

Name 2 things that surprise you (or surprised you in the beginning) in your new country:

How wary people are of foreigners.
How conservative people are.



Name 1 thing that you would miss terribly in your new country, if you had to leave it:

The new, good friends I have made.


Thank you, NOMAD! I now tag TERRI.


As this is an expat post, I wanted to share this interesting news item which I read in a weekly newsletter I get from South Africa. The caption to the pic reads as follows:

Walter Galler, a man of Jewish origins, married a non-Jewish woman. When he died in August 1939 in Swakopmund, South West Africa, on the eve of World War II, his wife knew that some sort of Hebrew inscription had to be placed on his tombstone. The only Hebrew she could find was on a box of matzah. She ordered the stone cutter to inscribe on the tombstone those words plus a Jewish star. The stone cutter, not knowing Hebrew, erroneously placed the words upside down on the tombstone. And so the stone was inscribed with a Jewish star and the Hebrew words for “Kosher for Passover.” Some years later, the words in Hebrew were removed by an over zealous rabbi who was visiting the small Jewish cemetery in the town. Photo courtesy of Rabbi Richard Newman (from his book, Where the Desert Ends: The Jews of Namibia).






 
-->