Wednesday, January 09, 2008

MIXED BAG ...

One of the emails I received today was from SIMPLY AUDIO BOOKS. I rent audio CDs through this site which operates much the same way as Netflix does. They were requesting their users to participate in a short survey. The entry in my email In Box therefore read as:

Simply Audiobooks How happy are you, Dawn?

For some reason I found it amusing and it triggered my idea for this post. So, in no particular order, here is a list of some things that are making me happy at the moment.

From Simply Audio Books, I just finished listening to THE MEASURE OF A MAN: A Spiritual Autobiography by Sidney Poitier. I enjoyed it immensely. The real treat is that Mr. Poitier narrates. It gives a great sense of having a private audience with this very interesting man. I've linked it through Amazon as it gives you a chance to look into the book.

Of course, no such list of mine would be complete without my all time favorite of favorites! I love every minute of this CD which I recently treated myself to. I must confess that it was my absolute teenage-esque adoration of the cover that made me buy it. I knew I would like the song list so I didn’t even bother checking it. I wanted that pic.
This joke also came to me by email. One of those rare ones that you burst out laughing at:
Tiger Woods drives his BMW into a gas station in a remote part of the Irish countryside. The pump attendant, clearly knowing nothing about golf, greets him in a typical Irish manner completely unaware of who the golfing pro is.

"Top of the mornin' to yer, sir." says the attendant.
Tiger nods a quick "Hello." and bends forward to pick up the nozzle. As he does so, two tees fall out of his shirt pocket onto the ground.
"What are those?" asks the attendant.
"They are called tees." replies Tiger.
"Well, what on God's earth are they for?" enquiries the Irishman.
"They're for resting my balls on when I'm driving." says Tiger.
"Fook me!" says the Irishman, "BMW t'inks of everything!"

I am a complete and total FOOD NETWORK addict. I TiVo as much as I can and I watch even more. A lot of people find Sandra Lee a bit weird. I do agree that her over-the-top changing of the kitchen to match her outfit for every show is a little funky, but having watched her life story, I felt inspired by her success. She comes up with some really quick and easy recipes that are very yummy. I don’t have a sweet tooth, but the ease of this dessert got my attention. I went out and got the ingredients the same day that I saw the show, and it was really nice. Everyone enjoyed it. You can check it out here.

My sister recommended this movie and it was great! If you haven’t seen SPITFIRE GRILL yet, it is worth a look-see. It’s not earth moving, but the characters and the story line are interesting, and although the twist became predictable as the movie progressed, I enjoyed it. Having said all this, I never read reviews and always say that movies are a matter of personal taste and everyone has their own likes and dislikes.
The book I am currently listening to is THE MEMORY KEEPER’S DAUGHTER. The story involves the birth of a Down’s syndrome baby. I listen to these books only in my car. (Between TV and radio, it’s commercial overload). At one point in the story today, I turned the CD off as my thoughts were distracting me from listening to the story. I was thinking about how we take our well and healthy children for granted. The birth of a perfectly healthy child is such a gift, and sometimes we kind of take it in our stride and don’t stop often enough to acknowledge the magnitude of the miracle and blessing. I remembered a time when good friends of mine were struggling to get pregnant. The husband commented on how people have sex, get pregnant and sail through bringing their child into the world. He expressed his feelings of frustration and at times anger over the struggle they were enduring.

Later in the day I was chatting on line to a friend who lives in New Zealand. He told me that there is a video clip he wanted to share with me that he had found to be inspiring. It was as if the Universe had heard my thoughts. It was as if the thanks I gave out and the gratitude I felt while driving earlier in the day had been received and heard and the Universe responded almost immediately. I thought about how lucky I am, especially in view of the fact that I got pregnant pre-diagnosis of Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy; to have brought our wonderful Ross into the world. I thanked my body, with all its weaknesses and less than perfect aspects, for all that it has done and all that I hope it will still do for me.

In Hebrew there is a phrase KOL HAKAVOD. The literal translation means 'all honor'. It is used idiomatically to express the praise or congratulations for an achievement. As humbly as is possible, I say KOL HAKAVOD to these people. You can watch the video clip here.

LOOKIN' MIGHTY HAPPY - RIGHT?







 
-->