Wednesday, November 05, 2008

NEW ...

DDTF, Ross and I sat and watched the election results on TV last night. It was an evening filled with mixed emotions for me. I haven’t been able to vote for the last fifteen years and the reminder of my immigrant status somehow made me feel sad. It also made me realize the enormity of the decisions we have made over the last fifteen years and the consequences of the choices to support those decisions.

I felt really fortunate to be able to say that in my lifetime I have seen Nelson Mandela become the president of South Africa and now, Barack Obama the president elect of the United States of America. I sent my sister a text message saying, “Aren’t we lucky to see Madiba and Obama in our lifetime. Daddy and Willie must be loving this!”
(Both my father and brother are deceased.)

In the seven years that we have been living here the last year has been intense. Things have felt so out of control that it has totally scared me at times. Clearly things need to change enormously.

By the time the next elections come around, I will be able to vote. I hope that the choices will be as obvious then as they were yesterday and that the difference will be that it will be based on a track record.



“If your actions inspire others to dream more,
learn more, do more and become more,
you are a leader.”
John Quincy Adams


This is my Great Nephew, Noah. He was born on 09/22/2008.

If you look closely, you will see his 'I Voted' sticker.



 
-->