Monday, December 28, 2009

RECAP #5 ...

Growing up in South Africa there was no celebration like the Sweet 16 in the USA. Looking back however, I indeed had such a birthday. My BFF at the time and my boyfriend pulled off the perfect surprise party and it was fantastic. I had no clue about it and I have always remembered it and how wonderful it felt to be made to feel that special. I think birthday celebrations are important and I always make them a treat for my family.

This year we had plans with friends to go out for lunch for my birthday. I am not the world’s most punctual person by any stretch of the imagination so DDTF had started working on me a good few days ahead of my birthday telling me we had to be on time. This did not raise any suspicion at all as he gets extremely irritated when we are late.

I made a special effort as I didn’t want there to be any pressure and I didn’t want to keep anyone waiting. I got on my chair to go downstairs and the minute the chair stopped at the bottom of the first stair case, the front door burst open and in walked my brother in law carrying a large tray of food. One-by-one everyone I was expecting to meet at the restaurant filed in behind him and made their way up the stairs.

Within moments the dining room table was laid with a most lavish lunch and before I could wrap my head around what was happening, a complete surprise birthday party luncheon was taking place.

I was overwhelmed. So much thought and effort and planning had gone into this. I sat around the table with this wonderful group of people and their sheer joy and pleasure in having made this happen was clearly evident. I often tell Ross that not everything in life is instant coffee. Things sometimes need time to reach their full potential and not everything has to happen instantaneously.

That day however, it was like instant coffee and it tasted good. It was as if the instructions read:

TAKE A ROOM FULL OF YOUR PEEPS.
ADD A TABLE CLOTH AND MATCHING KNIVES/FORKS/PLATES IN YOUR FAVORITE COLOR.
MIX IN PLATTERS OF DELICIOUS FOOD.
GATHER AROUND THE TABLE AND SPRINKLE WITH A GENEROUS SERVING OF LAUGHTER AND KINDNESS IN WORDS AND GESTURES.
ENJOY DELICIOUS MEMORIES … FOR EVER!

I will remember the joy of my 49th birthday with much gratitude.










For details and more pics, click here.


 
-->